At Wrestle Kingdom 10, Katsuyori Shibata takes on Tomohiro Ishii for the NEVER (ALL CAPS) Openweight Championship. Why? Because shut up! That’s why! There is no backstory here. No storied rivalry. It’s just happening. And you know what? I’m not even mad. Not even a little. Usually I would be. But in this case, nope. Totally not mad. I’m unmad. And I’ll tell you why in just a minute. But first, let’s get to know these two bruisers who will no doubt beat each other senseless at the Tokyo Dome.
Read the full article here.
–Listen to J-Shoot at these strong styling places: iTunes, PodOmatic, and Stitcher. Maybe leave a nice review while you’re at it, eh?
–This week, the #PuroPals review NJPW New Beginning from Osaka, as well as shows by AJPW, NOAH, and DDT. We also answer some Twitter Questions – #jshootqs – and talk about some of the big news out of Japan. Also Taguchi’s anus.
-The NJPW World is Not Enough Recommendation:
I forgot to mention this on the show, actually, but one of the Twitter questions this week was “Who is the best UK wrestler to work in Japan?” While I personally prefer William Regal, it’s hard to go past Billy Robinson. Check out his famous 1975 match against Antonio Inoki.
–This week’s non-NJPW match links:
–Akitoshi Saito & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Daisuke Sekimoto & Tatsuhito Takaiwa (Legend The Pro-Wrestling)
–Jun Akiyama, Takao Omori & Masanobu Fuchi vs. Go Shiozaki, Kento Miyahara & Kotaro Suzuki (AJPW)
–HARASHIMA, Konosuke Takeshita & Tetsuya Endo Vs Kota Ibushi, Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi (DDT)
–Naomichi Marufuji, Mikey Nicholls & Shane Haste vs. “SZKG” Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (NOAH)
–Support J-Shoot and Koala Mask with a Patreon pledge. $2 per month and I’ll follow you on twitter. $5 per month and I’ll follow you on twitter AND give you a shout-out on J-Shoot.
-Check out my comic, Bunny & Rink: The Adventure Begins on comiXology. It’s got regular ninjas, platypus ninjas, coffee chop ninjas, bat-ninjas, friendship, and a little bit of pro wrestling.
–As always, you can follow me on twitter here, and Bonski here, and PWN Radio here.
–You can also shoot us questions and comments at email@example.com.
–Don’t forget, be the wind!
–Take the dream!
1. Alex Shelley vs. Jay White
Jay White is all right! Alex Shelly defeated White with a move that most likely has a name which I will find out shortly.
UPDATE: It’s called the Air Raid Crash. There’s a super annoying yelling guy in the crowd whom I hope Alex Shelley Air Raids too!
2. Yohei Komatsu vs. Kyle O’Reilly
Komatsu had a cool moment where he started firing up after O’Reilly kicks and made a comeback. I love how hot the crowd gets for Komatsu. He’s a young lion! He shouldn’t be so great! O’Reilly’s strikes are fantastic. He pinned Komatsu with a bridging something. I’m not good at moves names tonight. Oh, it was a bridging fisherman driver. Pretty sick too!
3. Mascara Dorada & KUSHIDA vs. Young Bucks
Very excited about the pairing of Dorada and KUSHIDA. “Come on, Rey Mysterio! Get up!” by one of the Bucks is very funny, if not a little racist. KUSHIDA did a very Devitt Pele kick. Dorada is awesome. Very fast and crisp. Can’t wait to see more of him in the future. The Young Bucks pinned Dorada with a non-450 Meltzer Driver, or the Indy Taker. Fun stuff.
4. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima & Jushin Liger vs. Manabu Nakanishi & Tiger Mask & Captain New Japan
Nakanishi and Tenzan in the same match. I don’t know if I have the patience.
Funny moment where Tiger Mask and Nakanishi convinced the Captain to go for a diving head it. He missed. Tenzan submitted the Captain with the Anaconda Vice. Not awful. About as good as it could have been.
5. Yuji Nagata & Togi Makabe & Tetsuya Naito & Tomoaki Honma vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano & Yoshi-Hashi
Great Ishii/Makabe interaction, obviously. Nakamura and Nagata had a few good moments. Nakamura took a Nagata overhead belly to belly very awkwardly.
Nagata pinned YOSHI-HASHI with his bridging back drop. It was only a matter of time. Poor YOSHI.
6. Kazuchika Okada & Gedo vs. Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi
Decent match. The finish when Takahashi pinned Gedo with Miami Shine while Fale was keeping Okada busy on the outside.
7. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows & Tama Tonga & Kenny Omega
A funny moment when Taguchi tried his hip (arse) attack on Gallows who no sold it. Taguchi did his dance and pose while Gallows waited for him to turn around and walk into a throat thrust. Kenny Omega and Tanahashi had a short spot together that makes me really excited about a future Heavyweight division run for Omega. They did the exact same thing as they did in match 5 where everyone takes everyone out. It’s a fun spot, but twice on the same card is a little repetitive.
Tanahashi made a statement by hitting the Styles Clash on Tonga, followed by the High Fly Flow for the win.
0. New Japan Rumble
Young Lions looked good doing some double teaming. Nagata pinned YOSHI-HASHI with the backdrop hold.
Winner: Yuji Nagata
1. IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match: reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly) defend against The Young Bucks, Alex Shelley & Kushida, and Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov
2. Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Tomoaki Honma vs. Jeff Jarrett & Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi with Karen Jarrett
Winner: Tomoaki Honma, Satoshi Kojima and Hiroyoshi Tenzan
3. Naomichi Marufuji & Shane Haste & Mikey Nicholls & Toru Yano vs. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Shelton Benjamin & Takashi Iizuka
Winner: Naomichi Marufuji, TMDK and Toru Yano
4. Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Minoru Suzuki (UWF rules: Knockout, TKO or submission victory only)
Winner: Suzuki Minoru
5. NEVER Openweight Title Match: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. Togi Makabe
Winner: Togi Makabe
6. IWGP jr. Heavyweight Title Match: Ryusuke Taguchi (c) vs. Kenny Omega
Winner: Kenny Omega
7. IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match: Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows (c) vs. Katsuyori Shibata & Hirooki Goto
Winner: Hirooki Goto and Katsuyori Shibata
8. A.J. Styles vs. Tetsuya Naito
9. IWGP Intercontinental Title Match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi
Winner: Shinsuke Nakamura
10. IWGP Heavyweight Title Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada
Winner: Hiroshi Tanahashi with the High Fly Flow